VIETNAM FORUM OF ENVIRONMENTAL JOURNALISTS (VFEJ)
RECRUITMENT OF VOLUNTEERS TO THE PHILIPPINES
Vietnam Forum of Environmental Journalists (VFEJ) was established in October 1998. VFEJ is a non-profit, and non-government organization, and belonging to the mother association of Vietnam Association for Conservation of Environment and Nature (VACNE). VFEJ is also a member of the Cultural House, Vietnam Journalist Association It became a full member of Asia-Pacific Forum of Environmental Journalists in October 1998.
VFEJ approach is to have forum where environmental journalists, scientists, and officials exchange information, expertise and experiences that helps journalists’ response effectively to environment related information/events.
Vietnam Forum of Environmental Journalists (VFEJ) (website: vfej.vn) is carrying out a project titled “Environmental Communication Exchange Project in Asia ” funded by Fredskorpset, a Norwegian Government Organization. We are looking for a Vietnamese candidate to work as volunteer in MindaNews online newspapers, Davao City, Philippines for ten months, from early May 2012 to March 2013.
The project aims to create opportunities for people who work in the field of environmental communication in developing countries to exchange and share experience through exchanging volunteers between countries and establishing a network of partners in order to strengthen environmental communication in Asia ..
Selected candidate will participate in a three week preparatory course in Bangkok from 23rd April to 4th May 2012 before arriving in the Philippiness to work in ten months from 5th May 2012 to 5th March 2013. All costs related to the preparation course as well as working time in the host country are supported (including accommodations, meals, travels, and field trips). Additionally the volunteer will receive monthly allowance during 12 months of exchange program.
Specific tasks/activities to be performed by participant
· To study Mindanao’s culture, tradition and environment
· To learn how Minda News run the English website, Newsroom and other publications
· To join activities organised by Minda News if relevant and appropriate
· To cover events assigned by the editor and to develop their own stories for being published in Minda News and VFEJ website
· To conduct field visits organized by Minda News for collecting information and writing news/articles on environment to be published in Mindanao’s publications and VFEJ websites
· To attend seminar/conference related to environment and other issues if appropriate and possible and to write news/articles on the issues related to the seminar/conference to be published in Mindanao’s publications and VFEJ websites
· To regularly share information, experiences and articles on environment and journalism experiences to home country
· To give a mid-term presentation to MindaNews and VFEJ to review the achievement.
· To make monthly, semi-annual, and final reports on the mission to be submitted to sending, receiving and leading partners
· To present the achieved results/outputs in the debriefing meeting
· To conduct other tasks relevant to the exchange project as assigned by the host organization.
Specific activities the participant will do to prepare for and share the new knowledge and experience after return to home country:
· To present his/her gained information, experiences, journalism skills through VFEJ meetings
· To share information on how the Filipino protect environment through presentation
· Write the articles/stories on what s/he has learned to be published on VFEJ website, and other newspapers if possible.
Criteria for recruitment
Professional background and experience of participant:
· Experience on online newspaper is preferable;
· Experience on journalism, experiences in environmental journalism is preferred;
· Strong command of English (reading, writing and speaking).
Required personal qualfication of the participant:
· Willingness to learn;
· Good personal relation skill;
· Ability to work independently or in a team;
· Ability to adapt to the new culture and environment;
· Good computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet).
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application (including cover letter, application form and CV) before 31st December, 2011 directly or via email to:
Vietnam Forum of Environmental Journalists (VFEJ)
A2/22, Alley 49, Linh Lang Street, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi
Soon applications will be preferred.
Ms. Phung Minh Ha
Mobile : 0914 94 23 29
Phone: 043. 762 8933
Introduction of Mindanews
is an online newspaper
based in Davao city, whichis the largest city in the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. Mindanews is owned by Mindanao News and Information Cooperative Center (MNICC).
The Mindanao News and Information Cooperative Center (MNICC) is the leading provider of accurate, timely and comprehensive news and information on Mindanao and its peoples, serving economically, politically and culturally empowered communities. It professionally and responsibly cover Mindanao events, peoples and issues to inform, educate, inspire and influence communities.